Friday, July 15, 2011

Good wood and good food

Thankfully, our dorms are a short walk away from the Italian Market. Anyone who knows me reasonably well knows that I love to cook and eat so the Italian Market is like a dream come true. I am also thankful that Beth shares the same fondness for food as I, therefore we are usually partners in crime when it goes to tasty indulgences. Below is a photo taken at Claudio's Gourmet Deli, which is in the heart of the Italian Market. They have an amazing offering of charcuterie as well as olive oils, pastas, sauces, etc. I hugged the large hanging cheeses during my first visit.
At the end of the Italian Market is a great little Mexican restaurant called La Lupe. Beth and I had a tasty lunch there one day after shopping in the Italian Market. I had a chorizo taco and a pork tamale, which both were yummy. I washed it down with a Squirt, which is grapefruit flavored soda.
During the second week of our residency we were introduced to Gus, who works at Fairmount Park. Gus is a hoot n' a holler. He wields a chainsaw and cuts through large logs as though they are butter. On our visit he supplied us with: pear, holly, ambrosia maple and more. The photo below is a small bowl I made out of the pear wood Gus gave us. I don't usually work with green wood but "when in Rome".
Here is Gus in action at the "wood dump". It is amazing what variety of wood species are in the wood dump. On this day we got a lot of Ambrosia Maple.
Gus declared Beth the "Wood Ambassador". He even supplied her with a brooch to demarcate her regal status. Here she is proudly wearing her brooch and granting benevolence to all who enter the woods behind her.

No comments:

Post a Comment